My family may not want to read this. It will probably make you cry. Just a head's up.
I was about to start the posts on Pa's viewing and funeral when I realized I hadn't even written about the day he passed away. It was on April 2, 2012. He had been in the hospital for about a week. Pa had lived for about 8 years with cancer. It started as CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) and some time a few years ago he was diagnosed with Lymphoma. He never acted sick at all until just last month. He just kept on living. He kept working, playing tennis, going to all the grandkids different games and performances. He would go to chemo and then go to work. He never let the cancer slow him down.
On the 2nd, I got a text from my Dad saying they were sending Pa home. I thought it was a good thing, that it meant he was doing better. When I talked to my mom later, she said he was sent home because there was nothing more they could do for him. His kidneys had failed. Hospice was on their way to the house to help make him comfortable. My mom said to wait until they came and assessed him before I drove all the way up there. I hurried and fed the kids so we would be ready just in case. My dad called me just before 5 to say that we needed to come say goodbye to him that night. Luckily Aaron came home just after that so we just got in the car and left. It was less than 30 minutes later when my dad called to say that Pa was gone. He said we could turn around and go home if we wanted, but I said we would come anyway. I was really sad we didn't make it there in time. It turns out that hardly anyone did. It happened so fast. My parents and most of the Evans family were the only ones that were there. We finally got to the house. I went in with Aiden and Aaron had to park the car. While he was doing that he told the other kids that Pa had passed away. Brooke started crying. She is still pretty young, so I was surprised just how much she understood. My dad took the older two kids to the park while Aaron and I said goodbye. It was nice to be able to do that even though his spirit was not in his body anymore. We gave Dallin and Brooke the option of going in to see Pa or not. At first they didn't want to. I don't blame them. I can't imagine how scary it would be when you are that young to go see someone who had just passed away. They did both eventually come in and see him. Dallin even brought Pa a flower from the park. It was so cute. I am so grateful we are able to teach our kids about what happens after we die and to teach them that we will get to see Pa again. We didn't leave to go home until after 9:00. It was a long, emotional night.
The next day, Aaron took the day off so I could go back up to MeMe's and be with my family. We spent the day reminiscing about Pa, laughing, crying, planning the funeral, picking the casket, and writing the obituary. We had pizza from The Pie and ordered one with sausage and green peppers because that is what Pa would have wanted. :)
I seriously don't know how people who don't believe we will see our loved ones again can cope with something like this. It helps a lot to know that we will see Pa again. I still have days that are sad and hard, but nothing like what I imagine I would feel like if I thought I would never see him again. He was such an awesome man. He was probably the best grandpa we could have ever have hoped for. I miss him and can't wait for the day when I can see him again.
1 comment:
Beautiful, Ashley! So thankful for eternal families!
Post a Comment