Friday, September 7, 2012

Service Project

I decided I wanted to have the kids do a service project this summer.  I decided we would do something for Primary Children's.  My mom works there and Dallin had surgery there when he was only like 3 months old.  We love Primary's and are so grateful we don't have sick kids that are there all the time.  I got on their website and got some ideas of donations they needed.  I also talked to my mom and asked what would be good.  I decided we would make some craft kits.  It was something easy that the kids could help with.  I had them watch this great video so they knew what they were making these craft kits for.  Then I bought supplies and we got to work.
 
First we made card making kits.
I made some cards out of plain colored paper, bought stickers and crayons, and included envelopes for the finished cards.

Brooke made the girly ones

Dallin made the boy ones.
 
While Dallin was at a friend's house one day, Brooke and I assembled the bookmark decorating kits.  I didn't get pictures of it though.  I just bought foam bookmarks at the dollar store and included stickers for the kids to use to put on the bookmarks.
 
Here are all the assembled kits


Bookmark kits

card making kits for the girls

card making kits for the boys
 
Then, we drove up to the hospital to drop of our donation. 

Here are the kids with the kits outside the hospital.
 
Because of all the privacy issues, you can only drop the donation off at the front desk.  It would be cool if you could actually take the kits around to the kids though.
 
Anyway, my mom was working so she came and met us.  She showed us the playroom (just from the door), she showed us the lab, which is where she works.  And we got to ride the elevator, which Aiden hated.  The kids loved the big fish display by the elevator (in picture below).  Then we got lunch from the cafeteria and at lunch with my mom.  It was a fun little outing!  I just hope the kids at least understood a little bit about the service they were doing for the kids.

The kids with Grandma Carrie and the fish display.

No comments: